Our water comes from the Otways!
- Water is collected from rivers, dams or underground, and pumped through pipes to where it is needed.
- Raw water from rivers is stored here to allow solid particles to settle to the bottom.
- Special chemicals (called alum) are added to help impurities sink to the bottom and be removed.
- This process makes impurities settle to the bottom so that they can be removed.
- Special chemicals are added to float impurities to the surface, so they can be removed.
- The water is filtered through different filters (eg: sand filter) to clean the water.
- The pH of the water (how acidic it is) is checked and adjusted to the proper level.
- The water is disinfected so that it is safe to drink (using chlorine or other methods).
- Clean drinking water is stored until it is needed by customers.